The original building was constructed at the latter end of the 15th Century as a small Kentish Wealden Hall House with a central room open to the roof and an open fire for heating and cooking.
The 'pineapple' brick fireplaces in the centre and at the southern end of the pub were added in the 16th Century when the hall house was converted into four cottages. Other original features that still exist from this period are the moulded beam and door head at the left hand end of the bar. The big flat wall joists typical of medieval houses can still be seen in the restaurant.
The end cottage to the north of the building was converted to a modest beer house in 1865 with the addition of a cross wing and named The Old House at Home.
The pub remained a beer house to 1937 when a wine license was acquired. A full license was granted in 1949 when the net monopoly value of £725 was paid.
In 1981 the two adjacent cottages were incorporated into the pub with the third cottage being demolished to make way for the car park. This is when the name changed to The Old Eden.
The River Eden has been prone to flooding and at the left hand end of the bar is a marker and photograph indicating the flood level in September 1968. 1.825 metres or 6' 1" in old English!
Request to book a Table
Monday 12.00 to 22.30
Tue to Thur 12:00 to 23.00
Fri to Sat 12.00 - 00.00
Sun 11.00 to 22.00
Mon - Sat 12:30 - 15:00
Tue - Sat 18:00 - 21:00
12:00 - 16:00
Five star food hygiene rating - Food Standards Agency
2017 Certificate of Excellence - tripadvisor
Accredited Member - Cask Marque
CAMRA award winners
Produced in Kent is a membership organisation dedicated to championing local food, drink, products and services in Kent
Free Wi-Fi, just ask at the bar for the code
All images on this website are for presentation purposes only, intended to represent the products we offer.
We have been given the right to use these images, however, they are subject to change but the manufacturer.